Hi, I’m Dan Harrison!
I’m a web developer specialising in WordPress and marketing automation for small business owners.
Firstly, why small business owners?
(and I do mean ‘small’ in the loosest possible manner, as a couple of our clients are multi-million pound turnover businesses).
As a business owner, how would you feel having:
- someone working with you, where you can chat to them on the phone to work out if something technical is possible? (or even worthwhile?)
- someone who you can trust to talk about your website or marketing, who will give you honest ideas and thoughts, and then do all of the technical bits to make it happen for you?
- someone who will be honest and tell you the best solution for your business, even if it means you don’t end up working with them?
- someone who will explain all the technical bits to you (and your team), without jargon, in a way that makes sense to you?
- someone who will create mini training guides as screenshots or videos to help remind you how to do something, so that you can continue to do things without asking for help?
- someone who [is reassuringly busy, but] not TOO busy, so that if you have something that needs doing urgently, it gets done within a day or two.
As a business owner, you know that there are always 100s of things to do, and that to-do list never gets shorter. (I’m a business owner too, I know exactly what that feels like!).
Whilst you could learn everything that you need to know to get things done, you also know that it’s far better to get help and ask someone else to do it for you… yet doing so is really difficult, as there’s a balance between how much it costs to outsource v.s. trusting someone to do a great job v.s. how long it takes to explain what’s needed v.s. finding someone reliable.
I have known of Dan and his WordPress expertise for sometime and recently had need to use him to fix up some issues with my own website.
Not only did he do exactly that but did it quickly, to budget, but even more impressively thought about the implications, and offered suggestions on how to make it even better without needing to invest more money.
We all come at these situations with our own awareness and sometimes it hinders us as we only see what we can, what our own experience has given us and just like I do with users on LinkedIn Dan helped with his depth of experience on WordPress to come up with some great suggestions and ideas to move the website further forwards.
Finding a trustworthy web developer is notoriously difficult. It’s even more difficult to find a web developer…
- …who understands WordPress inside and out enough to write WordPress themes and plugins from scratch
- …who understands Active Campaign, Infusionsoft and MailChimp, and how to integrate them with pretty much any other system
- …who knows how to structure a website to capture leads
- …who knows how to correctly set up tracking pixels, landing pages, conversion tracking code, and tracking links
- …who can also translate technical concepts into human
- …who understands that business requires you to be pragmatic and that sometimes means deciding not to do something
- …who understands that there’s a balance between pretty and practical design, and to have a website that actually generates emails and phone calls from prospective customers
As you can probably guess, I’m trying to show you that I’m exactly the person and web developer I’ve just described. Of course, I appreciate that if you don’t know me, then you’re sceptical. Therefore I’d invite you to take a look at the testimonials from previous clients to get an idea of what our clients really say about working with me.
I'm so happy that Dan has started to take on clients for Wordpress Doctors again. Since he did our original site back a few years ago, I have valued his advice and expertise as we've grown and developed more websites.
His knowledge base just doesn’t cover the techie stuff (although he even makes that easy to understand too) but his knowledge about what works marketing-wise, is priceless too. He is really easy to outsource too, understanding what you both want and need for your business, which lets me get on with the important task of creating content to upload.
So why WordPress?
Whilst I discovered by accident the benefit of specialising in just WordPress, I continue to do so in order to deliver the best possible solution when working with you. It’s the equivalent of when someone would see a specialist surgeon v.s. a GP for a medical problem.
There are lots of individuals who offer help creating WordPress websites, and claim to be experts. I’m often drafted in to fix the problems created by these ‘experts’, as they’ve often hacked a free WordPress theme or overloaded a website with 35 plugins (where some are incompatible too). The result is a website that often breaks on mobile devices, or takes several seconds to load.
I suppose it’s a little bit of arrogance on my part as I want to be the one WordPress web developer who actually does deliver a great service and project for clients.
…and what’s ‘marketing automation’?
Marketing automation is everything to do with using software and systems to track, capture and communicate with a new prospect who might enter their details on a form on your website (or even send you an email).
As you can imagine, there are LOTS of technologies in marketing automation, and they can get very confusing…!
I frequently work with business owners who want to:
- automate their lead capture, or integrate their customer database system (i.e. their CRM) to their website
- or who want to integrate a membership website into their CRM
- or want to precisely track leads coming from Facebook Ads and Google Adwords
- or want to get their CRM talking to another system that they use, such as for payments or bookings
…and these business owners just need someone to understand it, translate it, and then make it all work. That’s when they get in touch with me.
What are the reasons to NOT work with me?
This is a peculiar thing to say, as it sounds like I’m turning away business. In fact I am. I often turn away business, but I’ll get to that bit in a moment.
I’m not cheap
If you’re looking for a cheap web developer, then I am most definitely NOT the guy for you. I’m reassuringly expensive (stealing a quote from a well-known beverage).
Actually, in fairness, cheap web developers are a false economy, as you often have to pay more to get things working if they break. (the words of a couple of my clients, not mine!).
My philosophy is very different. I offer a fixed price quote to do the work. If it takes me a little longer to do the work due to unforeseen problems, you don’t get charged any extra. I also offer a warranty with my work (if something breaks within 6 months, I fix it, free of charge).
You ‘require’ me to be at the end of the phone constantly
To get things done and ensure that I can deliver projects for clients, I schedule everything in my diary. I have some capacity for emergencies, but for the most part, I schedule time to do work for clients and to make things happen. Constant phone calls are very interrupting for productivity, and it slows me down considerably.
The good news is, I offer scheduled slots in my diary where you can have my undivided attention to discuss a project (or an element of a project if we’re working on something already). This is the best use of time for us both, and ensures that we’re both prepared for the telephone call.
If you’re someone who wants to spontaneously pick up the phone to me every few hours, then I’m afraid that’s a working style that’s not suited to me. I’ll encourage you to find someone else who’s happy with that arrangement.
Ok, so where do we go from here…?
As you can tell, I’ve crafted a working pattern that allows me to give my clients lots of help and support with their WordPress website and setting up their marketing automation. Sure, it sounds like I’m very structured in my approach, but that’s simply so that I can really look after you and deliver a great project.
If you’d like to find out more of the technologies that I have work with in the past, please click the link to find out more. There’s plenty of jargon in that list, but you might spot some technologies in their that you want to use. You can also find out some other Frequently Asked Questions (and their answers) here.
If you want to play around with some example web-based gizmos that give you some ideas of what I can create, then take a look at the playground area of the website.
Finally, if you just want to have a no-obligation chat about a project, then please either send me an email or schedule a telephone call with me. We can then discuss some ideas and work out if it’s something you’d like me to give you a quote for.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully I’ll be hearing from you soon.